Skip to Content

How to cancel a Practising Certificate

Some reasons you may want to cancel your practising certificate include:

  • your role has changed and you no longer provide legal advice to clients or your employer;
  • you have retired, or taken up work not involving legal services;
  • you’re taking an extended break from legal practice, including going on sabbatical or maternity leave;
  • you gave an undertaking to VCAT, or to us, to stop practising.

You can send us an email telling us you want to cancel your practising certificate, and the date you want that to start. Once we cancel your certificate, you will no longer need to complete CPD or hold insurance. 

Depending on your reasons for surrendering your certificate, you may be able to apply for a new practising certificate at a later date.

Last updated on
* Indicates required field
Back to top