Sexual harassment surveys
We have engaged leading market research firm Ipsos to conduct a state-wide survey looking at the prevalence and nature of sexual harassment in Victoria’s legal workplaces.
The survey is open to:
- current Victorian lawyers
- former Victorian lawyers
- non-lawyers who have worked or are working in Victoria’s legal workplaces, and
- members of the public who are or have been clients of Victorian lawyers.
If you are a Victorian lawyer with a current practising certificate, you have been emailed a unique link to the survey. Check the email address you provided to us when you renewed your practising certificate.
For everyone else who is currently working (or has worked) in a legal workplace in Victoria*, and for clients of Victorian lawyers, you can access the ‘open’ link to the survey.
- People who have worked as a lawyer (i.e. solicitor or barrister) in the past but no longer hold a practising certificate
- law students
- administrative, support and shared services staff
- judges’ associates
- paralegals and clerks
- people on work experience or undertaking practical legal training
- legal executives
We have also engaged Ipsos to conduct a separate survey, focussing on the training, policies and processes in place in Victoria’s legal workplaces to prevent and manage sexual harassment. This survey has been sent to principals of law practices.
Both surveys are anonymous and strictly confidential.
The surveys will help us gain an accurate and comprehensive understanding of sexual harassment in the profession and the wider legal workforce in Victoria. This research is important and depends on everyone having their say. Please participate to make sure your voice is heard.
If you have any questions, or would like more information, please call us on 03 9679 8001.
In February 2019 we announced a long-term program focussing on addressing sexual harassment within the legal profession in Victoria. See our statement here: Statement: Sexual harassment in the Victorian Legal Profession (157KB PDF)
We have also produced a fact sheet on sexual harassment (488KB PDF) for the profession.
Reporting sexual harassment
If you wish to discuss a matter confidentially, or make a complaint relating to sexual harassment by a lawyer, please:
- call us on (03) 9679 8001 and ask to talk to a member of the Sexual Harassment Complaints Team, or
- email firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- send mail addressed to the Sexual Harassment Complaints Team, Victorian Legal Services Board and Commissioner, GPO Box 492, Melbourne VIC 3001.