For the legal profession
- Policy – Appropriate Management Systems for law firms (125KB PDF)
- Policy – Compliance and Enforcement (342KB PDF)
- Policy – Practice Contingency Planning (188KB PDF)
- Policy – Continuing Professional Development (65KB PDF)
- Policy – Fit & Proper Person (191KB PDF)
- Policy – Foreign Lawyer Registration (170KB PDF)
- Policy – Grant of a Principal Practising Certificate (250KB PDF)
- Policy – Grant of Trust Authorisation (137KB PDF)
- Policy – Lay Associate Guidelines (135KB PDF) (See also FAQs – Prohibited Lay Associates) (148KB PDF)
- Policy – Mental Health (239KB PDF)
- Policy – Overpayment and Refunds (142KB PDF)
- Policy – Professional Indemnity Insurance exemptions (140KB PDF)
- Policy – Risk-based Regulation – Trust Accounts (187KB PDF)
- Policy – Supervised Legal Practice (159KB PDF)
Trust account policies
- Policy – Trust Account Regulations exemptions (124KB PDF)
- Policy – Exemption from Statutory Deposit Accounts (116KB PDF)
The following documents provide guidance on specific processes and operations of the Legal Services Board.
- Policy – Privacy (70KB PDF)
- Policy – Freedom of Information (72KB PDF) – For further information about the documents the Board holds and how it processes Freedom of Information requests, please download the Part II Information Statements.
- Policy – Media and Public Comments (207KB PDF)
- Policy – Protected Disclosure (59KB PDF)
- Policy – Risk Management and Guidelines (185KB PDF)
- Policy – Workplace adjustments for employees and the Commissioner (295KB PDF)
- Strategy – Victorian Legal Services Board and Commissioner: A Clear Direction (852KB PDF)
- Policy – VPS Pre-employment Screening (480KB PDF)
Gifts, Benefits & Hospitality
The Board and Commissioner have a Gifts, Benefits & Hospitality Policy that applies to all of our employees, members of the Board, Committee members, the Commissioner, contractors, consultants and persons acting or undertaking an activity on our behalf (‘our representatives’).
- Policy – Gifts, Benefits and Hospitality (836KB PDF)
The intent of our policy is to support the Board and Commissioner and our representatives to avoid conflicts of interest and to maintain the high level of integrity and public trust and confidence expected of us. All public servants have a duty to place the public interest over their own private interests and are held accountable for the decisions they make where a gift, benefit or hospitality is offered to them or by them to others.
Please appreciate that our representatives will refuse offers of gifts and benefits in circumstances where the offer is made by a person or organisation associated with:
- a procurement or tender process;
- a formal complaint or investigation or other decision making process of the Board and Commissioner.
Our policy has been developed in accordance with the gifts, benefits and hospitality policy framework issued by the Victorian Public Sector Commission on Minimum accountabilities for managing gifts, benefits and hospitality.
The below register contains details about all offers made to our representatives with a value of $50 or more. The register for the current year will be updated periodically.