Feedback - Victorian Legal Services Board + Commissioner


The Victorian Legal Services Board and Commissioner welcome feedback in relation to its services, processes and procedures. Your feedback will assist the us in identifying areas of improvement within our operations. Please email any comments or feedback to:

Feedback process

This section sets out how we aim to deal with complainants and lawyers. It also tells you what you can do if you are unhappy with the service we have provided.

Customer charter

Within the Victorian Legal Services Board and Commissioner’s jurisdiction, powers and resources, we will:

  • Assist with your complaint or enquiry;
  • Give careful consideration to any complaint made about a lawyer;
  • Investigate disciplinary complaints fairly, impartially and in a timely manner;
  • Clearly and promptly communicate to both the complainant and lawyer the decision and reasons for it at the conclusion of our investigation; and
  • Attempt to resolve consumer disputes and take any action necessary to assist the parties to reach agreement.

If you are not satisfied with your dealings with the Board and Commissioner

If you are not happy with your dealings with us, for instance if you think we have been rude or impolite, acted in an unfair or discriminatory way, caused unnecessary delays or failed to explain things clearly, please let us know. We take complaints about our service very seriously. Your feedback may help us to improve our service in the future.

Who should you contact if you are dissatisfied with our service?

A good place to start is to speak to the person you have been dealing with at the our office. They may be able to provide you with information which could resolve your concern straight away. If this person is not able to resolve the matter with you, the matter will be treated as a complaint and, in most circumstances, referred to a Manager for review.

Victorian Legal Services Board and Commissioner
Level 5, 555 Bourke Street 
Melbourne VIC 3000
DX 185 Melbourne
Phone: 1300 796 344 (local call Australia-wide)
 or (03) 9679 8001

What if you are not satisfied with a decision we made?

If you are not satisfied with our decision, you should speak to the person who dealt with your matter. They may be able to better explain the decision for you. If you are still not satisfied, you may write to the Board and Commissioner directly.

Please note, for complaints made on or before 30 June 2015, the Commissioner may re-open a complaint file for a new decision only where we have failed to follow the legal procedures for dealing with complaints. For all complaints made on or after 1 July 2015, the Commissioner may consider a review of a complaint at his discretion.

Victorian Ombudsman

If you wish to complain about the actions of the Board, the Commissioner or our staff, you can also complain to the Victorian Ombudsman. Generally, the Victorian Ombudsman will require you to have tried to resolve your complaint with the us before dealing with your complaint.

You can contact the Victorian Ombudsman as follows:
Victorian Ombudsman
Level 2, 570 Bourke Street
Melbourne VIC 3000

Phone: (03) 9613 6222
Fax: (03) 9602 4761
Toll free: 1800 806 314

Last modified August 9, 2019.