The Victorian Legal Services Board and Commissioner are independent statutory authorities responsible for the regulation of the legal profession in Victoria. The Board and Commissioner are empowered by the Legal Profession Uniform Law Application Act 2014, and are accountable to the Victorian Parliament.
For further background information on the Board and Commissioner functions, please see the About us section.
The Board can comment on matters of broad public interest, such as the performance of the legal profession and specific matters related to Board decisions.
The Commissioner can comment on the numbers and types of complaints, the professional standards which lawyers must abide by and the Commissioner’s operations.
Due to the confidentiality provisions in the Act, neither the Board nor the Commissioner are able to comment on current matters, or to confirm whether investigations into individual lawyers or law practices may be under way.
Information on whether a person holds a current practising certificate is available from the Board’s Register of Legal Practitioners and Law Practices.
For comment, please contact the Board and Commissioner’s Manager, Strategic Communication and Engagement:
Tel: (03) 9679 8168
Mob: 0407 127 701
The Board and Commissioner use Twitter and YouTube to promote special events, to provide tips and advice for both lawyers and consumers of legal services within Victoria, and to communicate other important information to our audiences.
The way we use our social media accounts is explained in our social media statement (149KB PDF).
Monthly statistics are available on the numbers of lawyers and law practices registered in Victoria, and annual statistics on the number of complaints received are also available. Further details are available in the Board and Commissioner annual reports.
- Funding boost for program supporting vulnerable girls and young women (122KB PDF) – 3 December 2019
- Friends group receives funding for innovative program (121KB PDF) – 12 November 2019
- Over $5m in funding announced to improve Victorian’s access to legal services (317KB PDF) – 23 October 2019
- Statement regarding the Victorian Royal Commission into Management of Police Informants (115KB PDF) – 1 March 2019
- Sexual harassment in the Victorian Legal Profession (157KB PDF) – 6 February 2019
- Supreme Court bans fake lawyer from undertaking legal work (115KB PDF) – 15 October 2018
- Commissioner warns lawyers over marketing tactics (116KB PDF) – 13 July 2018
- Managed Investment Schemes: Commencement of Uniform Law prohibition for the legal profession (157KB PDF) – 4 July 2018
- Female lawyers in Victoria outnumber males for the first time (111KB PDF) – 20 March 2018
- New legal services chief for Victoria (125KB PDF) – 5 February 2018
- Solicitor struck-off after $25 million fraud on banks (121KB PDF) – 11 October 2017
- The case for hiring foreign lawyers (109KB PDF) – 21 April 2017
- Solicitor banned after flagrant disregard of obligations to clients (93KB PDF) – 24 February 2017
- Legal regulation in Victoria – Not just a big stick (125KB PDF) – 27 June 2016
- Online system removes red tape for lawyers (80KB PDF) – 23 May 2016
- Complaints about Victorian lawyers down by 22% under the Uniform Law (145KB PDF) – 4 May 2016
- Commissioner warns legal clients against email and internet scams (176KB PDF) – 7 January 2016