The Victorian Legal Services Board and Commissioner are independent statutory authorities responsible for the regulation of the legal profession in Victoria. The Board and Commissioner are empowered by the Legal Profession Uniform Law Application Act 2014, and are accountable to the Victorian Parliament.
For further background information on the Board and Commissioner functions, please see the About us section.
The Board can comment on matters of broad public interest, such as the performance of the legal profession and specific matters related to Board decisions.
The Commissioner can comment on the numbers and types of complaints, the professional standards which lawyers must abide by and the Commissioner’s operations.
Due to the confidentiality provisions in the Act, neither the Board nor the Commissioner are able to comment on current matters, or to confirm whether investigations into individual lawyers or law practices may be under way.
Information on whether a person holds a current practising certificate is available from the Board’s Register of Legal Practitioners and Law Practices.
For comment, please contact the Board and Commissioner’s Communications Advisor:
Tel: (03) 9679 8008
Mob: 0448 502 616
The Board and Commissioner use Twitter and YouTube to promote special events, to provide tips and advice for both lawyers and consumers of legal services within Victoria, and to communicate other important information to our audiences.
The way we use our social media accounts is explained in our social media statement (149KB PDF).
Monthly statistics are available on the numbers of lawyers and law practices registered in Victoria, and annual statistics on the number of complaints received are also available. Further details are available in the Board and Commissioner annual reports.
- Solicitor banned after flagrant disregard of obligations to clients (93KB PDF) – 24 February 2017
- Legal regulation in Victoria – Not just a big stick (125KB PDF) – 27 June 2016
- Online system removes red tape for lawyers (80KB PDF) – 23 May 2016
- Complaints about Victorian lawyers down by 22% under the Uniform Law (145KB PDF) – 4 May 2016
- Solicitor Alex Lewenberg reprimanded, suspended from legal practice for 15 months (257 KB PDF) – 13 April 2016
- Opinion – Contingency fees will fail us (91KB PDF) – 3 March 2016
- Solicitor struck-off over executor’s commission offences (99KB PDF) – 3 March 2016
- Commissioner warns legal clients against email and internet scams (176KB PDF) – 7 January 2016
- Former lawyer gaoled after stealing $4.8m from clients (99KB PDF) – 9 April 2015
- Banned Solicitor applies to remove his own name from Court roll (96KB PDF) – 27 February 2015
- $2.6 million awarded for access to justice (176KB PDF) – 18 September 2014
- Long history of misconduct over a short career sees lawyer struck off (174KB PDF) – 16 September 2014
- Legal Services Board election results (199KB PDF) – 16 May 2014
- Court strikes Philip David Linacre from Roll of Legal Practitioners (138KB PDF) – 24 March 2014
- Large fine, reprimand for debt collection lawyer’s conduct (34KB PDF) – 13 March 2014
- Solicitor out for four years for misconduct (145KB PDF) – 18 December 2013
- Limited Receivership – Birch Ross and Barlow (184KB PDF) – 6 December 2013
- Misconduct findings for video debt lawyer (180KB PDF) – 11 July 2013
- Former solicitor receives suspended sentence after pleading guilty (187KB PDF) – 15 May 2013
- Chairperson appointed to Board (145 KB PDF) – 29 January 2013